The John T. Hinkley Collection

We are delighted to be offering the stock in trade of renowned Sydney Jeweller John T. Hinkley as our next single-owner sale from our Sydney sale rooms. In Sydney few jewellers are more renown in taste, quality and pedigree than Hinkleys, who for just shy of 100 years have occupied the prestigious northern corner of Hyde Park, close to St James’ station.

John Thomas Hinkley founded Hinkley’s on the prominent retail thoroughfare of Castlereagh Street in 1920 – close to Town Hall and Hyde Park. From the shop frontage on 114-120 Castlereagh he was part of the art-deco transformation of Sydney, with many prominent and illustrious businesses and organisations taking up desirable spots around St James rail station. One such was David Jones’ emblematic Elizabeth Street store, which opened opposite Hinkley’s in 1927.

Following almost fifty years the Hinkley family sold the business to the current owners in 1967, who continued John Hinkley’s founding tenets while expanding the profile and reputation of the store through advising, manufacturing and dealing with Sydney’s most discerning clients. From 2008 they moved to their current address on Elizabeth Street, retaining still their original red neon Hinkley’s sign.